Your Story and then some

I had made it official, and put out the call for your story. Thank you, and please keep them coming. Here are a few, I have taken out names and locations, anything that could identify the writer.


I had blood every time I went to the toilet, I was too shame to talk about it. I didn’t want to say anything in case there was something wrong with me. I delayed as long as possible. I was scared about what people would say, peeing blood isn’t right and I didn’t think it was a cancer. I was taken to the local base hospital and they took me to the nearest big hospital. I had to ride in an ambulance for two hours. They ran tests I was told that I had bladder cancer, it was  transitional cell carcinoma. That was after spending a week in hospital while they did lots of tests, scans and blood samples.  I was told that it is a cancer that spreads and that I shouldn’t have waited to get medical treatment. I was sent to the capital city and had some surgery, then the treatment started. I didn’t want to be there. I was so far away from my friends and family. I was in the hospital for months. I had no friends and no one to talk with. The nurses were wonderful, they would stop and talk to me, some even spent time with me when they had knocked off work. My family were too far to come. I had a few week end visits, but its not the same. I would have preferred to be closer to home so I could see everyone. I was lonely, but I understood everyone couldn’t take time off from work to come so far to be with me. I wanted to be with people I knew and to see things I recognised. One of the nurses at the hospital actually lent me her lap top. This was so special to me, she trusted me and liked me and understood how lonely I was. I used that lap top to keep up with family. I lived on facebook and my emails were always full. I learnt how to play online games and became a champion at scrabble. One day another Koorie was in the hospital, that was exciting, we talked about everything we could. She was from the city and when she went home she would come up and visit me. This helped me to not feel so lonely. I had two friends then and that made a big difference to how I felt. I think I actually started to get better then. I wasn’t alone in a strange place. The medical staff from the ambulance up to the final hospital were so good and friendly. I felt like I was in good hands. I might not have understood everything that was going on, but everyone was so nice and friendly. I did learn medical terms and start to understand them my friend the nurse would come with me to treatment and be there when the doctor talked to me, she explained to me what I didn’t know. I am now at home again. I was so happy to be leaving the hospital, but I was also sad at leaving the people who became my family there. I returned the lap top but not my friendship. I still keep in touch with them.

About proudblacksista

An Aboriginal woman. mother of 4 diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumour 7 years ago.I want to share my story to help others. I am working to help other Aboriginal people face the battles of Cancer. Email me with your stories or concerns at View all posts by proudblacksista

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: